The Idea for the Writing Box
When I started Plot Duckies, I wanted to find a way to help as many creative writers as possible. Events are great, but I wanted to do more.
I was looking for help on running an idea hack session for my business. Turns out ABQID runs idea hack sessions! It’s like a brainstorming session only better. (I’ll create another post about how old fashion brainstorming isn’t the best way to come up with new ideas.)
For this session, it was TJ Cook, two target customers, and me. We ended up with some amazing ideas and two of those ideas came out on top.
One of those ideas, a writing box. A subscription box that would have helpful and fun things for creative writers. Wow, I love that idea!
The writer subscription box
Now I’m running with the box idea. What I’ve done so far:
- I created a survey for input on what people might like, as well as what issues I could help them with.
- I’ve created the first prototype of the box.
- I’ve done a ton of work on costs and pricing.
What Comes in the Box
This is what I’ve narrowed it down to:
- Chapter 1 of “Feed Your Creative Writer” A how-to on creativity,
- Welcome card with access to private Slack group and information on what to do with everything in the box.
- Fun 8 1/2 X 11 notebook,
- Dividers for your notebook,
- How-to outline your novel, and getting started
- A fun pen,
- A five-minute timer,
- and a plot duckie.
- There’s even a discount code for the writing platform Scrivener!
I’ll also use the pain points of the first five Beta testers to add additional items to the box so it’s as helpful as possible.
Future boxes all include a new chapter of how-to on creativity, a notebook (various sizes), a pen, a helpful outline or information on a writing topic like questions to ask your characters. I’ll also be on the lookout for coupons and great deals on things writers love.
Box 2 will specifically include a workbook on finding time to write. Members of the Slack group can let me know what they’d like to see in upcoming boxes.
The price will probably be $25 a month plus shipping.
What I learned creating the prototype
- I really, really wanted to include a fun mug, but I found it would make the subscription too expensive (Darn it!) I might offer it as an add-in or a one-time order. Why? Because I love shopping and I’ve found some cool mugs.
- That there are a few ways to set-up a subscription plan and some want more money than others to do all the hard work in the background.
Where I’m going
The best option I’ve found: Adding Woocommerce to my website and purchasing their subscription piece. Luckily, I’m familiar with WordPress and adding Woocommerce shouldn’t be too difficult. However, it means taking some time to learn, purchase an SSL certificate, etc.
So, as soon as I have everything set-up, I’ll have it connected to this website!
If you want a Writer Box Subscription
It’s all ready! I’m looking for 5 beta testers that will get the box at a discount. Send me a message through the website, and I’ll get back to you with the code. The box is live at yourstoryinabox.com